Sunday, March 27, 2016

A Thank You

I know a lot of my blogging is pretty grim, but I am going to flip the script and show some appreciation to one of the people who make my whole world better.

In 2007, I was freshly single, a mom of 3, and still pretty overwhelmed by some of the changes that I had made in my life. They were necessary changes, good changes, but change is always a messy and scary process.

My friends had been my salvation. They helped me so much. Helping me with my kids, helping me move, making sure I took time to eat, sleep, breathe.

One friend in particular was Jorge. He and his mom helped me find my own place, and he had babysat on more than one occasion.

One day he called and asked me what my plans were for the 27th of March. I was off work but still in the process of moving. According to Jorge, that could wait for a night. His best friend had 2 extra tickets to Spamalot. They wanted me to come with. He knew I was a huge Monty Python fan, and I needed a night out.

I said I couldn't. I didn't have anyone to watch my kids. Jorge had already thought of that. His mom was ready and willing to babysit. Everyone was going, it would be fun and it would save his bestie from having to go alone with his room mates. Plus he wanted to see me be happy.

So I agreed to go.

Since I was bringing the kids to his Mom's house, we agreed I would drive Jorge and I to the show.
We made our way to the Wynn. When we got there, Jorge's best friend, handed him two tickets and said, "You owe me your first born." I thought that was odd. Then I found out why.

Everyone was there, as advertised. But Jorge and I had seats in a completely different section. Sneaky, but pretty damn smooth.

This would turn into what would forever be our first date.

It's been quite a few crazy years since then, but one thing that hasn't changed is that I can always count on Jorge to make sure I am ok.

He calls me every break he gets at work, and makes sure I'm feeling ok. He makes sure I take time to breathe. He worries about me. I can see what my illness has done to him. He goes through everything with me. But most of all he just wants me to see me happy.

And I am happy.

So today, on the anniversary of our first date, I want to say thank you.
Thank you Jorge for showing me that I deserved to have fun.
Thank you for showing me that I am worth the extra effort, just for the chance to sit alone with me.
Thank you for making sure I take time to eat, sleep and breathe.
Thank you for checking on me every single break at work.
Thank you for holding my hand.
Thank you for the butterflies I still get in my stomach.
Thank you for being there not only for me, but for our kids.
Thank you for the happiness we share.
Thank you.

Always,
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment